The Santa Barbara Maritime Museum (SBMM) is seeking an experienced, creative, positive and professional Store Manager to direct the sales and customer service endeavors of the Museum Store. The Museum Store Manager operates and oversees SBMM’s gift shop; oversees all museum admissions, sales of merchandise, and special event reservations; greets customers and answers the museum’s main phone line during business hours; is responsible for planning and implementing strategies for increasing store sales; communicates and orders directly with vendors, artists and other suppliers to maintain a relevant and interesting inventory. The Store Manager should possess a collaborative attitude and the ability to effectively communicate and integrate the interests of the Store with the mission of the institution.
Regular, non-exempt, 25 hours/week position (will include weekends). Pay will depend on experience. Reports to Deputy Director.
Requirements & Expectations
- Experience in purchasing within a retail environment, specifically for a museum or other historical/cultural institution; Anticipating inventory needs; and, researching new potential products relevant to the Museum and the Museum Store’s interests.
- Must have experience with budgets, accounting and cash handling.
- Analyze, identify, and monitor sales trends, ticket trends, and labor costs/productivity; Provide senior management with sales reports.
- Supervisory experience; Store Manager will supervise team of 2-3 Store Assistants and, on occasion, Welcome Desk volunteers.
- Dynamic, creative and energetic approach to customer and visitor services; Use judgment to resolve complaints to guest satisfaction.
- Work collaboratively with Guest Services Coordinator to achieve standards of customer and visitor services; Work collaboratively with Marketing staff to integrate sales plans into institutional marketing plans.
- Responsible for the aesthetics and displays in the Museum Store.
- Must become well integrated into the greater Museum and play an active role in its events, activities and goals
- Motivated and Intuitive; Works well under pressure and is good at problem solving.
- Marketing experience a plus, particularly within Social Media platforms.
- Experience working with Ticketmaster, Paypal or other ticketing platforms a plus as they relate to special events.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org